Spring Update 2023:
- Broken Wheel and Eagle Cove campsites are available for reservations until October 22,2023. Cabins are reservable year-round. Reservations may be made online at www.parksandrecreation.idaho.gov or calling Reserve America 1-888-922-6743
- Equestrian Campground and unreserved sites in Broken Wheel and Eagle Cove campgrounds are available for same day camping.
- All restrooms and shower buildings are open. Water has been turned on to campsites.
- The Observatory is expected to open sometime in May. Updates will be posted on Facebook and our webpage at www.parksandrecreation.idaho.gov
- Sand boards are available to rent at the Visitor Center
Please note: UAV/Drone use is only permitted in the designated UAV area (contact the park for location). Flight outside of the designated are is strictly prohibited.
The park has day use areas, which include the dunes, which are only open to the public from 7 am to 10 pm. Please refer to IDAPA code 26.01.20.
About the Park
With one of the longest camping seasons in the Idaho Parks system, Bruneau Dunes State Park offers camping opportunities throughout the year. Campsites and cabins are available with plenty of first-come, first-served sites too.
Bruneau Dunes park boasts the tallest single-structured sand dune in North America with a peak rising 470 feet above the surrounding desert floor. Explore the dunes in your hiking boots or rent a sandboard from the Visitor Center, but off-road vehicles are only permitted on the main road. You can also fish for bluegill in the lakes at the foot of the dune; unlock the mystery of the desert with a breathtaking hike or horseback ride; plan a group picnic or visit the Bruneau Dunes Observatory (during non-COVID-19 times) and gaze at the night sky through the Observatory’s collection of telescopes.
Address: 27608 Sand Dunes Rd
Bruneau, ID 83647
Phone: (208) 366-7919
Hours of Operation: Day-use locations within state parks are open from 7 am to 10 pm, per Idaho state code 26.01.20 (5). Day-use hours may change based on park manager discretion.