Official Government Website

FAQs about OHVs in Idaho

All Specialty off-highway vehicles, ATVs, UTVs and motorbikes must display a current OHV certificate of number sticker to operate in Idaho.

In addition to any vendor authorized by IDPR, the IDPR OHV certificate of number stickers are available online.

You may operate off-highway (designated OHV riding areas, areas open to cross country motorized travel, designated motorized trail systems, motocross tracks, sand dunes, etc.)You may also operate on roads on state lands and federal lands that are not part of the highway system of Idaho open to such use. There are additional requirements when operating on roads. Learn more about where OHVs are allowed to operate in Idaho.

On a motorbike used exclusively off-highway or on a dual sport motorcycle with a red white and blue motorcycle plate, the sticker needs to be placed on the rider’s right fork. On an ATV, UTV or Specialty off-highway vehicle the certificate of number sticker must be placed upon the rear fender. The sticker must be completely visible, legible and not hidden by obstructions. If you have a restricted vehicle license plate the certificate of number sticker must be affixed to the plate. See visual here.

Idaho code excludes vehicles used exclusively on private land for agricultural use or snow removal. Specialty off-highway vehicles will not be issued a restricted vehicle license plate. No restricted vehicle license plate is needed for vehicles used strictly off-highway or on non-local jurisdiction roads (e.g. IDL, BLM, USFS, IDFG, IDPR and privately owned roads open to such use.

A valid driver’s license and liability insurance are required. Any person under the age of 16 must be supervised by a licensed adult operator (18+). Operators under the age of 18 must also wear a helmet. The following is recommended for safe operation but not required by law. A working brake light, a horn audible at 200’, headlight and taillight after dark or during poor visibility, and a mirror showing roadway 200' behind the vehicle. Get additional detail on requirements for operation in Idaho.

They may legally operate off-highway as defined above. They may also operate on roads on state lands and federal lands that are not a part of the highway system of Idaho open to such use, if supervised by a licensed adult operator (18+).

It is still available and is required for ATV, UTV and motorbike owners who choose to operate on all roads that are part of a local jurisdictional highway system (e.g. city, county, highway district) that are open to OHV travel. This excludes all state highways and interstates.

Attached to the rear of the vehicle not less than 12” off of the ground, securely fastened and clearly visible.

You have the option to obtain a $3.00 duplicate sticker from IDPR or your County Assessor Motor Vehicle Office.

If you purchased a motorbike or ATV since 1/1/1991 or a UTV since 7/1/2006, you are required to title it in your name. If you purchased it before that date, you are strongly encouraged to title it, but are not required to do so. Titling enhances the chance of recovery in the event your vehicle is stolen. It provides convincing proof of ownership when you go to sell it. Also, should you suffer loss, some insurance companies will not provide payoff if you do not have a title in your name. Apply for title at your County Assessor Motor Vehicle Office. You will need to take ownership documents with you. Include any signed title from the seller, manufacturer’s certificate of origin, prior registration, and bills of sale you may have. Applicable sales tax will also be due. You can contact your County Assessor Motor Vehicle Office with questions pertaining to this process.

Any vehicle manufactured designed or constructed exclusively for off-highway operation that does not fit the definition of an ATV, UTV or motorbike as defined in Section 67-7101 Idaho Code.

No. Specialty off-highway vehicles aren’t titled. Many of these vehicles don’t have a VIN # or have been customized to the point that they no longer meet titling requirements. However, they are required to have an OHV certificate of number sticker.

No. The OHV sticker requirement for Specialty off-highway vehicles only applies to vehicles designed or constructed exclusively for off-highway operation.

No. Only one plate is necessary. To ride on trails, you will still need the OHV certificate of number sticker and must affix it to the right fork. This is in addition to the current motorcycle license plate registration sticker provided by ITD with the motorcycle plate.

No. Motorcycles and motorbikes that have been converted to motorcycles are the only vehicles that can legally operate in Idaho with motorcycle plates.

Any ATV, UTV, motorbike or specialty off-highway vehicle operated in Idaho must have a current Idaho certificate of number sticker . A restricted vehicle license plate may be purchased for a motorbike, ATV, or UTV. 

Upcoming Events

No Upcoming Events

See All Events

ver: 3.5.0 | last updated: