Please Note: Contrary to Google Maps directions, when traveling to the park from the North, please keep on Hwy 95 (do not turn left onto Conkling Road). When you arrive at Plummer, turn left (East) onto State Hwy 5 to access the park
The Coeur d’ Alene Indians were the first inhabitants of the area now known as Heyburn State Park. An ideal place for an encampment, the lakes provided an abundance of fish and waterfowl. The heavily timbered slopes and open meadows were ideal habitat for deer, bear and upland birds.
Heyburn State Park was created from the Coeur d’ Alene Indian Reservation by an act of Congress, on April 20, 1908. The deed, signed by President William Howard Taft, granted 5,744 acres of land and 2,332 acres of water to the State. The park was named in honor of U.S. Senator W.B. Heyburn of Idaho.
Much of the early construction was performed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Between 1934 and 1941, the CCC built roads, trails, bridges, campgrounds, picnic areas, picnic shelters and the Rocky Point Lodge. Today, many of these facilities are still in use and are a proud legacy of the CCC.