We foster experiences that renew the human spirit and promote community vitality.

Registration Program Changes - FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. Why did I get a phone call?

A. The department needs your name and email address for the new registration system to provide you with better, quicker service. Our old system had your phone number, but we will need a name and email address as part of our improved system.

If you received a phone call, please visit our webform here to update your information.

Q. What is being changed?

A. The department is modernizing its approach to registrations through updated software.

Q. Why is it being changed?

A. In order to provide more options to purchase your stickers and permits and create a more efficient system.

Q. Why do you need my email address?

A. Email addresses are central to the new system. They serve as your account username as well as the method by which renewal notices are delivered and communications distributed.

Q. Who will these changes affect?

A. Everyone who registers a boat, ATV, UTV, motorbike, or snowmobile in Idaho. It also affects those who purchase the following permits: Invasive Species, annual Idaho State Park motor vehicle entry fee (MVEF) stickers, and Park N’ Ski permits.

Q. How can I help ensure my toys are in the new system?

A. Provide your current email address and info. Also, when renewing for your 2020 registrations please ensure all customer profile information is correct and up to date for your equipment. 

Q. Where will I be able to buy my registration?

A. Online – on your computer or mobile device, at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), at State Parks offices and the Parks, and at vendors across the state.

Q. What will I be able to purchase online?

A. You will be able to conveniently renew registrations for boat, ATV, UTV, motorbike, or snowmobile online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You may also purchase Invasive Species stickers, annual Idaho State Park motor vehicle entry fee (MVEF) stickers, and Park N’ Ski permits.

Q. When are these changes taking place?

A. Spring 2020.

Q. How will I receive proof of my registration or permit after purchasing?

A. Your registration or permit will be immediately valid for use, and—depending on purchase location—you will either immediately receive a sticker and a paper certificate of registration or an emailed temporary registration/permit, followed by a sticker and a paper certification of registration in the mail.
Q. How long will it take stickers to arrive by mail?

A. The stickers should come within 7 to 10 days of purchase. Your temporary registration/permit will be valid until your hard copies are received by mail.

Q. Will I be able to renew more than one vehicle or vessel at a time? A. Absolutely. The system has an easy-to-use shopping cart feature that allows you to add purchases for multiple vehicles, vessels, or permits at the same time.

Q. Does this change how recreation dollars are spent?

A. No. For more information about your recreation dollars at work, click here.

Q. Is the online renewal pin still necessary to renew?

A. No. The first time you utilize the new system, you will be required to set up an online account that is tied to your date of birth and email address. This account will allow you to manage your vehicles, permits and registrations in one convenient place.

Q. Will registration notices still be mailed?

A. No. Email addresses will be utilized for communications regarding renewals as well as delivery of temporary passes. 

Q. What is Aspira?

A. Aspira is the contractor the department hired to provide registration and reservation software. They are the parent company of Reserve America, a longtime partner of the department.